VespaCatch: your ally against Vespa velutina
The VespaCatch trap and attractant has been used for almost 10 years by French beekeepers.
Specially designed for Asian hornets, this natural solution is a formidable ally in the fight against this invader.
Highly effective trap!1
Specially developed to trap Asian hornets:
- The trap lid provides two entrances, both covered with a tunnel that focuses and directs odours, shields ambient light, and prevents hornets from escaping.
- The shape of the trap concentrates the odour of the attractant and allows a better diffusion and efficacy
- The yellow bowl colour is known to attract Asian hornets.
Did you know?
During a trial conducted in Portugal during 15 days2, the Véto-pharma trap caught 2,3 times more Asian hornets than Tap-trap® product and 5,7 times more Asian hornets than “artisanal trap” (Bottle trap).
Maximise attraction by Asian hornets
- Natural trapping solution based on plant extracts
- No pesticide
- Formulated to not attract bees.
The hornet attractant is available in 2 dimensions: 1 litre bottle (doses for 100 traps) or single-dose sticks.
Instructions for use:
Mix in the trap bowl: 10 ml of VespaCatch attractant, 200 ml of water and 50 gr of sugar. Renew the solution at saturation of hornets in the trap or 3 weeks after placement.
VespaCatch: Tips for use our natural trapping solution for asian hornet
- It takes a few hours for the traps to catch hornets.
- If the traps do not catch any hornet, it may be useful to reposition them.
- It is recommended to trap when the maximum daily temperatures exceed 15°C.
- It is recommended to trap in areas of passage of the Asian hornet.
- For better efficiency, do not clean the trap during the renewal of the solution.
- When renewing the solution, we recommend leaving a dead hornet in the trap.
Want to purchase a VespaCatch?
Check out the list of authorised distributors in your country.
Find a distributor
Mini-brochure presenting the essentials of the VespaCatch trap and attractant for capturing the Asian Hornet.
Assessment of the effectiveness and selectiveness of VespaCatch®, Jabeprode® and bottle traps for summer/autumn trapping
A recently published study conducted in 10 apiaries in the Eure department in the summer/autumn of 2019 compared the effectiveness and selectiveness of three Asian hornet (Vespa velutina) trapping devices commonly used by beekeepers.
1- Comparative evaluation of the trapping methods to protect the apiary – French Technical Institute for bees and pollination (ITSAP) – June 2015.
2- Comparison trial of three different traps at Torre, Portugal – V.N. Cerveira, 25th october 2013